Sunday, March 14, 2010

Good samaritans absent from Genesee Dog Park

While the state of Washington has no "good Samaritan law" requiring people to assist others in emergency situations, one would think that common sense and compassion would guide an individual's conscience to help another in need.

Not at the Genesee Dog Park around 5:30 pm on Saturday, March 13.

My beagle was chasing a black, pointy-eared dog at the park last evening. My dog suddenly stopped dead in his tracks. When I went to investigate, I saw that my beagle could not put weight on his left lower extremity. It didn't take Dr. Doolittle to figure out that he sustained a serious injury. I had no choice but to pick up my dog and carry him across the park, and then to my car parked along South Genesee Street.

There were three other dog owners -- two middle-aged men and a woman -- at the park when my dog was injured. Not one of the three offered assistance when I lugged my dog to the car. Nary a word or a gesture to open the gate as I toted my dog out of the park.

Thanks tons, creeps. (I contemplated calling you cretins, but decided it would be unfair to malign residents of any existing leper colonies.) Did you think I was engaged in some practice exercise for a Ninja Warrior cattle call? If similarly situated, I would have made some inquiry or offer of assistance if I saw another park user haul a 30-pound dog to the exit. Most decent and thoughtful people would have. I apologize for intruding in your exercises of self absorption. Thankfully, you are the exception to the group of good people who use the dog park. Unfortunately, you thoughtless losers were all that I had when my dog tore up his knee at Genesee.

No comments:

Post a Comment